Saturday, October 3, 2015

a life that we can live


Together, through the loneliest days of our lives.


I watched this short film today for the first time in three years. The first time I did, it was with my best friend at the time. We cried as we watched it, but I don't remember why. I couldn't relate to the sad parts of the film, only the good ones: the scenes of kids riding their bikes around town, being with people you love, two "other halves" coming together in a friendship.

As I watch it now, years older, I cry for different reasons. I can relate to the theme of the film and The Suburbs in its entirety: growing apart from your friends as you grow into adulthood. That friend is no longer in my life. Watching it, I only drew parallels from Kyle and Winter's friendship to ours. I won't go into detail because it's somehow hard for me. Simply, the evolution of our friendship was just like most. It began strong, plateaued strong, we grew apart because of personal choices, then anger which turned into hatred solidified the end of the friendship, and now we do not speak or see each other.

Toward the end of the film, Winter bursts into Kyle's work place and beats him up. Fuming with anger, he throws tables and chairs, curses and wails. The reason of his temper is unclear to me. Is he upset that Kyle is still full of life? Is the thought of their growing apart tearing him apart? His hate consumed him.
While getting his ass kicked, Kyle takes all the blows and curses from Winter. He doesn't fight back. He does nothing. He lies on the ground, bleeding and bruised, wondering what the hell just happened and why the hell it happened.



I don't know why things happened the way they did in my life. I don't know why we never seemed to work things out. I don't know why you hate me so much.

But I do know that I have learned from what has happened to me so far. I do know that I can work things out, even though it will never be the same. And I do know that I do not hate you, and I never will.



"Wasted hours before we knew where to go and what to do. Wasted hours that you make new and turn into a life that we can live."

No comments:

Post a Comment